For more than five decades, the Outpatient Therapy Center has been a vital part of Lufkin’s medical community. The facility offers a wide range of therapy services including occupational therapy, physical therapy, and speech and language therapy. The Center services both children and adults.
The Outpatient Therapy Center is a 14,000-square-foot free-standing facility located next to St. Luke's Health-Memorial Lufkin at the corner of Franklin and Frank streets. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The center specializes in treating each patient individually. Neuro-developmental techniques are offered for patients recovering from stroke and other neurological conditions. Multi-disciplined, comprehensive interventions are utilized for young children experiencing developmental delays, and the therapists have vast experience in working with autistic children.
Formerly known as the Wilson McKewen Rehabilitation, the Center was created in the mid 1950s by the Angelina County Society for Crippled Children and Adults. Shortly thereafter, Wilson McKewen, a Lufkin civic leader, worked with the Angelina County Lion’s Club and the Angelina County Mounted Patrol to raise funds to construct a new treatment facility. Following the unexpected death of Mr. McKewen in 1966, the structure was renamed in his honor—The Wilson McKewen Treatment Center. After a significant growth in services through the years, the center merged with St. Luke's Health-Memorial — making it the largest provider for comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation services in the area.
The Center’s occupational therapy program focuses on patients regaining arm and hand strength, regaining independence in activities of daily living, and learning adaptive techniques to assist in overcoming a disability.
The Center’s physical therapy program focuses on decreasing pain and regaining strength in the spine, legs, and shoulders; regaining independence in movement; and in learning techniques to allow for independence in a person’s daily life.
The Center’s speech and language therapy program focuses on helping people communicate effectively, feeding and swallowing techniques, and applying adaptive techniques for problem solving to help with an independent and safe lifestyle.
- Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy
- Emphasis on 1:1 care in all disciplines
- Orthopedic Manual Therapy
- Hand Therapy
- Exercise Training
- Home/Self Care Training
- Aquatic Therapy
- Neurological Rehabilitation
- Pediatric Rehabilitation
- Sensory Integration
- Driver Readiness Assessments
- Voice/Communication Therapy
- Swallow Therapy
- Cognitive Training
- Individualized care plans
- Specialist in Neurodevelopmental Techniques - patients suffering from strokes, brain injuries
- Board Certified Orthopedic Clinical Specialist (OCS)
- Fellow Trained Orthopedic Manual Therapist (FAAOMPT)
- Certified Lymphedema Therapy
- Expertise in working with autistic children
- Multiple therapists with 20+ years individual clinic experience
- Indoor, therapeutic, heated pool complete with indoor changing facilities
- Very large therapy gym accommodating PT, OT and Speech
- Convenient parking and a covered “drop off” area for patients.
- Interdisciplinary team meetings in a conference room as needed
- Warm, caring, and friendly atmosphere
- Accepts most insurance plans
St. Luke's Health-Memorial San Augustine also offers Outpatient Therapy services at the hospital.