The Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery program at BSLMC received Comprehensive Center accreditation from American College of Surgeons (ACS) Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP), in partnership with the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS). To earn this esteemed designation of excellence, the program underwent a rigorous review of its structure, processes, and clinical outcomes data and it successfully met the MBSAQIP's high standards across the board for staffing, training, facility infrastructure and patient care.
Comprehensive Care With a Team You Can Trust
Our comprehensive program supports you through every step of your weight loss program.
Samer G. Mattar, MD
Dr. Mattar is Medical Director at The Weight Loss and Metabolic Clinic at Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center. Formerly, he was Professor of Surgery at Oregon Health & Science University and Professor of Surgery at Indiana University.
Juliet Holder-Haynes, MD
Dr. Juliet Holder-Haynes is committed to providing personalized care to all of her patients.
S. Julie-Ann Lloyd, MD
S. Julie-Ann Lloyd, MD, is dedicated to delivering high-quality, compassionate care to Houston and nearby communities. S. Julie-Ann Lloyd specializes in Surgery and works at Baylor College of Medicine.
Wasif M. Abidi, MD, PhD
Dr. Wasif Abidi has participated in numerous studies and clinical trials in novel treatments of obesity and diabetes.
Jill Riley, MSN, RN
Jill Riley brings 20 years of healthcare experience to her position as Bariatric Program Coordinator at Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center. She earned her bachelor’s in nursing degree from Western Michigan University, and master’s in nursing degree from the University of Texas. As the program coordinator she is able to use the expertise and knowledge she has gained over the years working in perioperative nursing and healthcare quality.
At Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center, we understand that obesity is a complex chronic disease. There is no one therapy that works for everyone, and success looks very different on an individual basis. That’s why we provide our patients the tools and information they need to make the decisions that work best for them. Our comprehensive program and multidisciplinary team are here to help you achieve your goals.
Our multispecialty program offers:
- Medical clearance: We adjust for considerations like pulmonary risk factors, control of hypertension, treatment of sleep apnea, control of diabetes, or adjustment of blood thinners. Multiple providers are involved in this medical intervention, including surgeons, primary care doctors, and other specialists.
- Nutritional counseling: We evaluate individual needs, discuss personal responsibility, and identify potential barriers to postoperative success. The implementation of healthy eating habits is essential. Our goal is to help you develop your own balanced nutritional program for long-term success.
- Mental health consultation: We help patients to deal with potential anxiety and stress leading up to surgery, and also to effectively navigate the mental health issues surrounding weight loss surgery, such as reducing symptoms of depression, assisting in the treatment of disordered eating, and decreasing the risk for transfer addiction.
- Monthly dedicated support groups: These provide social and emotional support and the opportunity for learning from others.
- Follow-up care: Usually, this involves four visits in the first year to check lab work and meet with the dietitian. These follow-up visits are important to ensure patients are compliant with long-term nutritional supplementation and that patients receive appropriate lifelong routine monitoring.