Samer Mattar, M.D.
Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment713-798-6673
Dr. Mattar is Medical Director at The Weight Loss and Metabolic Clinic at Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center. He is also Past-President of the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons and the current President of the Fellowship Council. His practice is almost entirely bariatric in nature and his main clinical interests are in the area of standardizing pathways and optimizing patient outcomes. He also has an interest in the surgical and endoscopic treatment of acid reflux disease. He has developed comprehensive bariatric and metabolic programs with an emphasis on modern, high quality and compassionate care that squarely places the patient at the center. He has published numerous articles and book chapters in the field and he enjoys teaching and advocating for his patients.
Dr. Mattar's accomplishments include:
- Graduated from Cairo University in 1983.
- Completed General Surgery Residency at Emory University in Atlanta, GA in 1996.
- Completed General Surgery Residency at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN in 2000.
- Completed Advanced Laparoscopic Fellowship at Emory University in Atlanta, GA in 2002.
- Chief of Bariatric Services at Oregon Health & Science University from 2014 – 2017.
- Chief of OHSU Surgical Weight Loss Center at Oregon Health & Science University from 2014 – 2017.
- Medical Director of Swedish Weight Loss Services at Swedish Medical Center from 2017 – 2020.
- Laparoscopic Primary and Revisional gastric bypass
- Laparoscopic Primary and revisional sleeve gastrectomy
- Laparoscopic Conversion of sleeve to bypass
- Laparoscopic conversion of gastric band to sleeve or bypass
- Laparoscopic repair of paraesophageal hernias
- Laparoscopic repair of abdominal wall hernias
- Diagnostic and therapeutic upper GU endoscopy
If this is an emergency, dial 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency department.