Skip to Main Content
Paternity Inquiries

Questions Related to Paternity

Acknowledging paternity for a child born to unmarried parents is very important. Learn more about establishing paternity at the website for the Attorney General of Texas. If you are not married to the biological father of your child but you want his name on the birth certificate, the Acknowledgement of Paternity (AOP) form must be completed. If you are married to someone other than the biological father of the child, or have not been divorced more than 300 days, your husband/ex-husband must complete the Denial of Paternity (DOP) section of the AOP. If the husband/ex-husband does not complete and sign the DOP, you cannot proceed with the AOP. You can still establish paternity by applying for services at a child support office or by consulting a private attorney.

Visit the Birth Certificate Clerk at St. Luke’s Health–The Woodlands Hospital to obtain information about the AOP form and instructions for completion. Form 1608
*Please note: Form 1608 Acknowledgment of Paternity Form is voluntary.

  • If the father is not going to be present at the time of delivery, please call us at 936-266-3605 to set up a time both you and the biological father can come to the hospital and sign an AOP.
  • To sign the AOP after you leave the hospital, both parents must go to a certified entity listed below to complete the AOP process.
    • The Birth Certificate Department
    • A child support office
    • A local Vital Statistics office (county clerk)
  • To find the closest office that can help you with an AOP, you may call 1-866-255-2006 or 936-266-3605.

Information obtained from the Website for the Attorney General of Texas: August 2017.

Find a Doctor

Looking for a doctor? Perform a quick search by name or browse by specialty.