Practice These Poses
Practicing yoga does more than just stretch your muscles, it also helps your body build stronger muscles. Improve strength, flexibility, and posture at home with the following five yoga poses.
- Bridge. Lie flat on the floor, bend knees and set feet on the floor, and then push your hips up and make your thighs parallel with one another. Once in this position, clasp your hands together under your hips and hold for 30 seconds to a minute. This pose strengthens your back, glutes, and torso.
- Chair. Stand tall and raise your arms perpendicular to the floor, keep arms parallel facing inward around your head, bend your knees, and keep your thighs as parallel as possible. Then, take your tailbone down toward the floor, keeping the lower back long, and hold for 30 seconds to a minute. This pose strengthens your arms, legs, and torso.
- Downward-facing dog. Come to the floor on your hands and knees, set your knees right below your hips and your hands slightly in front of your shoulders, and lift your knees away from the floor. After lifting your knees, push your tailbone upwards and extend your legs, pressing your feet into the ground, and hold for one to three minutes. This pose strengthens your arms and legs.
- Locust. Lie flat on the floor on your stomach with your arms by your side and lift your head, upper torso, arms, and legs away from the floor. Once in this position, raise your arms parallel to the floor and look forward. Hold for 30 seconds to a minute. This pose strengthens your torso, legs, and arms.
- Plank. Lie flat on the floor on your stomach, putting your arms perpendicular to the floor and the shoulders directly over the wrists and your torso parallel to the floor. After prepping, press your body upwards with your arms fully extended and hold for 30 seconds to a minute. This pose strengthens your arms and torso.