Houston is no stranger to flooding. In August of 2017, the city flooded with over 60 inches of rain, damaging 204,000 homes and taking 82 lives during Hurricane Harvey. This year, don’t let the Houston rain catch you off guard. Here’s what you should do before, during, and after a flood.
Before the Storm
- Discuss the reality of a flood with your family ahead of time to help lessen any fear, especially if you have young children.
- Find out if your home is situated in a floodplain to assess your risk and plan accordingly.
- Prepare an emergency kit and a household evacuation plan.
- Make copies of your important documents to take with you during an evacuation.
- Pay attention to your local news and stay alert for any flash flood warnings or watches.