As you think about what to buy your children for the holiday season, it is important to keep toy safety in mind. Choking on or swallowing small pieces from toys is a possibility for young children. Keep your children safe and know what to do if your child swallows a foreign object.
Buttons, coins, and marbles are objects that children commonly swallow and are usually harmless unless it blocks the air passage. There are certain items that need emergency medical attention if swallowed. Take your child to the emergency room if any of these are swallowed:
If your child swallows an object and is able to make sounds and/or cough, allow him or her to try coughing the object out of the airway. Take your child to the emergency room if he or she is unable to cough it out or if it is causing pain. If your child swallows a foreign body and is unable to cough or make sound, he or she may be choking and unable to breathe. If your child is over the age of one, call 911 and begin the heimlich maneuver.
If the child is unconscious and not breathing, call 911 and begin CPR.
If your child is under the age of one year and is choking, follow these first aid steps. Be aware of the toys your children receive, and take the proper precautions to prevent the choking on and swallowing of a foreign object. We wish you and your family a safe and healthy holiday season!
Looking for a doctor? Perform a quick search by name or browse by specialty.