The DAISY Foundation was established in 1999 by the family of J. Patrick Barnes. Patrick died at the age of 33, from complications of the auto-immune disease Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (ITP). During his eight-week hospital stay, his family was impressed by the care and compassion his nurses provided, not only to him but to everyone in the family. They created the DAISY Award in Pat’s memory to recognize those nurses who make a big difference in the lives of so many people.
Our DAISY Award honorees demonstrate the Core Values of CommonSpirit Health:
- Compassion:We show care with listening, empathy and love and accompany and comfort those in need of healing.
- Inclusion:We celebrate each person’s gifts and voice and respect the dignity of all.
- Integrity:We inspire trust through honesty and demonstrate courage in the face of inequity.
- Excellence: We serve with fullest passion, creativity and stewardship, and exceed expectations of others and ourselves.
- Collaboration: We commit to the power of working together while building and nurturing meaningful relationships.