How safe is your home from fire hazards during the holidays? While the warm light from a fireplace or festive holiday candle can be comforting, it can also be dangerous if you are not careful. The holiday season can be the most dangerous time for fires and burns. To keep your family safe, refresh everyone on the following fire safety tips.
Common Holiday Fire Hazards
- Swap real candles in menorahs or advent wreaths with electric candles.
- Keep candles, lighters, and matches out of reach from kids and pets.
- Put candles on sturdy, even surfaces away from flammable objects.
- Blow out candles before you leave the room to avoid leaving flames unattended.
- Move candles away from flammable materials like curtains and holiday trees.
- Never extinguish candles with water as it can shatter glass and splatter hot wax.