Recipe: Garden Focaccia
- 1 ½ cups + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 ⅛ tsp instant yeast
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cup + 1 tbsp warm water
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Veggies, herbs, etc. for decorating
- Combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, instant yeast, and salt in a bowl. Mix with a wooden spoon until combined. Then, add in the warm water and stir until a shaggy dough begins to form.
- Lightly flour a work surface, and turn dough onto it. Knead with your hands for about 6 minutes or until smooth. Pour a splash of EVOO in a clean bowl and coat the inside. Then roll the dough into a ball, place inside the bowl, cover with a damp towel, and let rise in a warm place for about an hour or until doubled in size.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 baking sheet with EVOO. Press down on the dough to release some air, then turn it onto the baking sheet. Using your fingertips, gently spread the dough out through the pan. Let it rest for five minutes, then press and spread some more. Continue this cycle until the dough reaches all edges of the pan. Generously drizzle EVOO on top, then dimple the dough by using your fingers to press the dough all the way to the bottom of the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 450° Fahrenheit. Arrange your decorations on top of your bread, and press lightly into the dough. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool, then slice into 18 portions (6x3 grid) and enjoy!
Want to share your garden focaccia with us? Post a pic on social media, and don’t forget to tag us!
Looking for more snacks and meals to delight your taste buds? Check out our entire library of healthy recipes!