Distinctions & Awards
Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center has accomplished numerous achievements and recognitions for providing compassionate, quality care. These milestones are a testament to the dedication and commitment put forth every day by our employees.
- The Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery program at BSLMC received Comprehensive Center accreditation from American College of Surgeons (ACS) Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP), in partnership with the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS). To earn this esteemed designation of excellence, the program underwent a rigorous review of its structure, processes, and clinical outcomes data and it successfully met the MBSAQIP's high standards across the board for staffing, training, facility infrastructure and patient care.
- Recognized as a Best Hospital for 2017-18 according to U.S. News & World Report, including second in Houston and fourth in Texas.
- The hospital’s Cardiology and Heart Surgery program—in partnership with the Texas Heart Institute—is ranked in the top 25 nationwide by U.S. News & World Report.
- Neurology and Neurosurgery service line is ranked as one of the top 40 nationwide by U.S. News & World Report.
- Ranked as one of America’s “Best Hospitals” for Cardiology & Heart Surgery in 2014 by U.S.News & World Report.
- Home to the Texas Heart Institute, which has been ranked for 24 consecutive years by U.S.News & World Report as one of the nation’s top 10 centers for cardiology and heart surgery.
- Received the Get with The Guidelines®–Stroke Silver Plus Quality Achievement Award and the Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite Achievement Award from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association in 2014 for its exceptional Comprehensive Stroke Program.
- Received a three-year accreditation by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) in Nuclear Medicine, Nuclear Cardiology, and PET imaging.
- Named as one of the “100 Hospitals, Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs” by Becker’s Hospital Review in 2014.
- Four-time ANCC Magnet® Designation for Nursing Excellence—the highest honor bestowed to a hospital for nursing (2014, 2009, 2005, 2001).
- Completed its 500th liver transplantation in 2013—more than any other hospital in Houston.
- Completed its 1,000th Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implantation in 2014
- In 2014, became the first hospital in Texas to begin FDA-Cleared FIRMap™ Catheter to treat patients suffering from arrhythmia.
- The Texas Heart Institute at Baylor St. Luke’s named among the top “100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs” by Becker’s Hospital Review year in 2014.
- In 2013, named the first hospital in Texas to receive three Beacon Awards for Excellence from the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN). Units 7 Cooley A and 7 South 3 both received gold-level designation; unit 7 South 6 unit received silver-level designation the first nephrology unit in the nation to receive a Beacon Award.
- Became the first hospital in Houston and the second in Texas to be awarded the International Organization for Standardization’s (ISO) ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System certification.